Created: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 04:06:00 EST
Updated: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 04:28:25 EST
The Bibb Sheriff’s Office arrested an employee of Cheddars Restaurant, 4040 Riverside Drive, after a manager allegedly caught her adding extra tips to customer charge tickets.
The Sheriff's Office reports that a customer called the manager of Cheddars and complained that there was an $8 unauthorized charge to their credit card from a meal at the restaurant.
The manager determined that April Zakeisha Johnson, 30, was the waitress who attended to that customer, the sheriff's office said.
The manager tracked her checks for 10 days in September and allegedly found 36 different transactions where Johnson had added unauthorized charges. The additional charges totaled $151.94.
On Sept. 18, the manager told an off-duty deputy who was at the restaurant about what he had found.
The off-duty deputy then arrested Johnson on charges of fiduciary theft. She was taken to the Bibb County Law Enforcement Complex.
Johnson was released on bond on Sept. 19.
The Bibb Sheriff’s Office offered advice to people who pay with credit cards:
- Keep your eyes on your credit card during all transactions (i.e. restaurants).
- Open all bills promptly and check your accounts monthly. If you have an online account, check your account daily.
- Save all credit card receipts and match them against your monthly billing. Look for charges you don't recognize and report them immediately.
- Fill out your bill carefully and leave no spaces where symbols or numbers can be added.
- If you leave a cash tip on the table, cross out the space in the card receipt for this concept, and write in "tip left on the table." This will prevent waiters from just adding a tip to the blank spot.