Created: Thu, 01 May 2014 04:16:00 EST
Updated: Thu, 01 May 2014 04:58:04 EST
Historic Macon announced the nominees of its annual preservation awards, to be presented at the organization's annual meeting
The meeting is set for Tuesday, May 6, with a 5 p.m. reception and the program beginning at 6, at the Douglass Theatre. This year’s keynote speaker will be Pratt Cassity, Director of the Community Design Center at the University of Georgia.
The preservation award nominees:
- 1013 Bond Street, Macon, owned by Tim and Leila Regan-Porter. This house was built circa 1884 for Mr. Heinrik Stroemer, a German immigrant, on land that was subdivided from the original Bond Estate. The Queen Anne style, single-family home was once converted to apartments. The Regan-Porter family has rehabilitated it back to a single-family residence and it’s an excellent example of residential rehabilitation.
- 618 Arlington Place, Macon, owned by Will and Carrie Robinson. This house was constructed around 1880 for Judge Malcolm Jones. In early years of the house’s life, the house’s footprint was changed many times. The house had been vacant for years before the Robinsons purchased the home, and is now a wonderful example of a neoclassical cottage.
- travis jean, llc., 518-530 Cherry Street, Macon, owned by Jean Bragg. Built in 1892-1900, these buildings were first occupied by W.A. Woody Dry Goods Company. Ms. Bragg has renovated all three buildings, turning the once abandoned section of Cherry Street into a vibrant addition to downtown.
- Dannenberg Lofts, 476 Third Street, Macon, owned by Gene Dunwody and Tony Long. Walter Dannenberg, one of Macon’s wealthiest businessmen, built the building in 1890. This rehabilitation has been a long-term goal for Downtown Macon. The project has created over 60 apartments and 3 retail spaces.
- Taste and See Coffee Shop, 546 Poplar Street, Macon, owned by Bryan Nichols. This building believed to have been built between 1866 and 1867 by Asher Ayers, a local commission merchant, fertilizer dealer, provision dealer and grocer. The rehabilitation project includes four residential units and a retail space.
- Mercer University Cruz Plaza, Macon Campus: owned by Mercer University. The plaza transformed the center of Mercer’s Campus. The project removed abandon Edgewood Avenue and added new fountains, brick walkways and gathering spaces.
- Daybreak Center, 174 Walnut Street, Macon: owned by Daybreak – Depaul USA, directed by Sister Elizabeth Greim. The 1940 building was an abandoned warehouse once built by Macon Iron and Paper Company. The renovation created a state of the art day center for transients.
- College Hill Corridor, Macon: College Hill Alliance. College Hill Alliance has been investing in the College Hill Corridor since 2007. The project has rehabilitated spaces including work in Beall’s Hill and Mercer Village. The revitalization project has created 121 jobs.
- 607 College Street, Macon: Dr. Peter Holliday. Henry North built this property in 1854. A second floor, designed by Neil Reid, was added in 1911. The Hollidays purchased the home in 1984 since that time Dr. Holliday has been the definition of a good steward to the home.
- 644 College Street, Macon: owned by Dr. Peter and Mrs. Bette-Lou Brown. Built by Willingham Loan Company circa 1908, this house was first occupied by Gladys O’Neal and her husband Jennings Adams. Peter and Bette-Lou have been in this home for thirty years and have continually cared for the property.
- 674 Arlington Place and 697 College Street, Macon: Blair House. Since the 1990s, both houses have been testaments to the constant maintenance of the Blair Senior Living Center. Mrs. Gabriel Roberts built 679 College for Mrs. Cullen Battle in 1885. It remained unaltered until 1960s when it was converted into apartments. 674 Arlington Place was constructed in 1880 by the Ross family. It remained a single family home until it became part of the senior living facility.
Historic Macon Foundation is a nonprofit organization that advocates for Macon’s historic and architectural heritage, facilitates preservation and revitalization efforts in the community and educates and inspires appreciation for Macon.