Created: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:59:00 EST
Updated: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:24:30 EST
A Houston County man is dead after firefighters say a space heater sparked a house fire near Perry overnight Sunday.
The victim is identified as 55-year-old Kenneth Lumpkin, whose home was located on Anna's Way in the Lake Joy Village subdivision.
Neighbor Gail Carrol says another neighbor alerted her that her home had also caught fire.
"We came out of our house and stood out here, fire was already on our house, it was already engulfed in his house and ken was in there, there was no way nobody could go in there and get him out, Bobby and this neighbor over here tried to get him out but they couldn't get to the house, the firemen couldn't get in there the flames were so high," Carroll said.
Carroll says Lumpkin's home was completely destroyed. She described her neighbor as a family man, who was always friendly and will be missed.